10 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Getting Started!
Having an event planning career is absolutely magical! To witness and help create some of the most memorable and meaningful times people will ever experience is simply unforgettable. Yet I am the first to admit that I literally had no idea what I was getting into when I initially began my career. I seriously thought I would spend my days perusing Pinterest and casually sipping latte’s at fancy coffee shops. Boy, was I wrong!
I am thrilled to announce that I will be launching an e-course in 2019 for planners that are just starting in the field. Lastly, here are 10 questions to ask yourself before you get started.
10 Questions to Ask Before Getting Started:
- What types of events do you love creating? Social gatherings or corporate events? It’s soooo important to do the types of events that you love. Don’t feel like you have to do a certain type of event just because that’s what’s popular in the industry.
- Are you more interested in the logistical aspects of the events or the decor and visuals? I love both! This is also super important.
- Who is your ideal client? What are you good at doing? What do you dislike? For example, I’m not a huge fan of social media. It was an absolute relief to hire a social media manager.
- Do you know how to delegate? Oftentimes, as entrepreneurs we want to do everything ourselves but it’s impossible. Therefore, you have to have help! Having an event planning career means you have to wear many hats and some of those hats have to be delegated in order for you to be successful.
- What income would you like to make annually? By determining what type of income you plan to make, you can work “backward” to make sure you reach your income goals for your event planning career.
- What are you willing to invest in your business? This is really something to consider before getting started. It’s totally an investment.
- Have you done your research? Read everything you can get your hands on before diving in. In particular, read things about how to effectively run a business in conjunction with material that is specific to event planning.
- Have you shadowed someone in the industry? This can sometimes be a bit tough but it is extremely worth it. For instance, there is no way to determine if weddings are for you before you invest your time and energy in planning one, other than being a planner’s assistant for a time.
- Are you ready to lay the proper foundation? This can be anything from trademarking your name to securing an LLC to making sure your contracts have been properly vetted by an attorney. I used Legal Zoom and think it is awesome, efficient, and effective!
- Will this be a long-term career for you? If so, it’s important to think about the longevity of your event planning career. For me this meant creating a product and launching an e-course. As a planner, the hours can be long and it can be pretty hectic at times, which is something that can be difficult to sustain over a long period of time. Have a plan!
What other questions can I answer for you? I am happy to answer them all! Drop me a note in the comments.
Morgan K. is the owner of Scarlett Events and the creator of the Scarlett Collection. With a passion for unique themes and attention to quality details, Morgan brings style and joy back to party planning, being the partner busy women everywhere need! The Scarlett Collection provides everything you need to become the greatest hostess your friends and family have ever seen.